- On 29 March 2017 new car park zones, entrances and streets leading to entry and exit points will be open providing an additional 2,000 new car parks to our customers.
- Victoria Street will be open to two-way traffic on 29 March. These changes are designed to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.
- An additional 7 level car park zones can be accessed via Victoria Street, Little Street or Duggan Street and and will make parking efficient for all of our customers.
- Provides best access to Kmart, Big W and Woolworths.
- New downloadable maps will be available from 29 March 2017.
With the ongoing development of Grand Central, upgrades and expansions to our car parks are also progressing. Once complete, the new Grand Central will deliver an additional 2,000 car parks, bringing the total number of spaces at the centre to approximately 4,000.
In December 2016, we opened the first of our new large parking zones for the convenience of our customers.
Key details regarding Grand Central’s new parking zones:
- Rooftop and basement parking options now open.
- Entry and exit points on Victoria St (via Herries or Little Streets) and Little Street.
- New rooftop parking also accessible from existing Clifford St entrance.
- Access to Grand Central via travellator from the basement and via lift from the new rooftop parking.
- Provides best parking for the new Retail Galleria and H&M.
MANAGED PARKING FOR GRAND CENTRAL SHOPPING CENTRE IN 2017
As part of its $500 million redevelopment, Grand Central is introducing one of the most advanced parking systems in Australia in 2017.
The system will provide great new features for customers including ticketless entry, new wayfinding technology including LED-based car space indicators, and increased digital signage.
The changes are designed to create an improved parking experience for customers at Grand Central by making parking as quick and easy as possible for our customers.
Once the system is fully operational in 2017, the first three hours of parking at Grand Central will be free. Free parking will also be available for cinema patrons and customers who spend over $150.
Features of Grand Central’s new managed parking system will include:
- Cameras to detect vehicles within each space
- LED based space indicators which change colour to reflect the status of the parking spaces
- electronic display boards to indicate the direction and quantity of available parking bays
- extensive signage to guide customers
- ticketless payments using licence plate recognition
Installation of the ticketless parking and guidance systems will begin soon, however a date for activation of the system has not yet been confirmed.
How will it work?
Ticketless parking uses licence plate recognition to track parking without the need for a paper ticket, providing a streamlined entry and exit system for Grand Central customers.
On entry, a camera will recognise licence plate details and a digital screen will display each vehicle’s arrival time. Vehicles will not be required to stop as tickets will not be issued.
Parking Guidance System
Grand Central’s new state-of-the-art parking guidance system will use LED-based car space indicators and electronic display boards to advise customers of available car parking spaces, making it quicker and easier to find a space.
Once inside the car park, guests can locate an available park using the green and red light system overhead.
How much will it cost to park at Grand Central?
Once managed parking is introduced, independent data, and analysis of our customers’ shopping behaviour, anticipates less than 10% of our guests will have to pay for parking.
Parking will be FREE for customers who:
- Visit for 3 hours or less
- Spend over $150 per visit
- Have a disability permit
- See a movie during their visit (using their cinema ticket to validate their parking)
- Enter our facilities after 6pm.
For those who stay beyond three hours, parking costs will start at only $2.00 for more than three hours.
Once the system is activated, rates for parking will be as follows:
- Up to 3 hours : Free
- Up to 3.5 hours : $2.00
- Up to 4 hours : $3.00
- Up to 4.5 hours : $4.00
- Up to 5.0 hours : $6.00
- Up to 5.5 hours : $8.00
- Up to 6.0 hours : $10.00
- Up to 6.5 hours : $12.00
- Up to 7.0 hours : $15.00
- 7.0 and over : $20.00
- Maximum Daily Rate $20.00
How can I pay for my parking?
Any customers who have parked for less than three hours will not be required to pay for parking, and can proceed directly to the exit. The ticketless payment system will recognise your vehicle’s licence plate and the boom gate will open automatically.
If required, payment for parking will be able to be made:
- at car park exit barriers using credit card
- at pay stations located at all lobby entrances via cash or credit card
- via automatic charge to a credit card by registering online at grandcentralshopping.com.au.
If I register online, will my licence plate and credit card number be kept secure?
This policy adheres with Australia’s Privacy Act.
Will there be staff to help in the car park?
The car park will be managed 24 hours a day by staff that can assist Grand Central customers. Every exit will have a call button to contact a staff member for assistance.
If you have any questions or concerns about the new managed parking system at Grand Central, please call the development information line on 1800 753 069.